The housing crisis is urgent and demands substantive actions. Local governments across the province are taking concrete steps to address the crisis and are looking for meaningful, focused partnerships with the provincial and federal governments.
UBCM is committed to working with the Province to address the housing crisis and to work to support effective implementation of their housing plan Homes for People, while recognizing local government capacity and fiscal constraints and the need for flexibility to address local circumstances. UBCM will continue to seek opportunities for local government input, feedback and engagement as the Province implements their plan.
Recent UBCM Engagement and Analyses of Provincial Policy
- UBCM asks the Province to withdraw Bill 45 November 2023
- Province introduces Transit Oriented Development legislation November 2023
- New legislation on development finance November 2023
- Province introduces legislation on homeless encampments November 2023
- Provincial housing legislation introduces sweeping changes to local government planning framework, November 2023
- Province introduces Short Term Rental Legislation, October 2023
- Provincial support needed to address Short Term Rentals, May 2023
- Analysis of provincial housing plan, April 2023
- Provincial plan to address homelessness, April 2023
- UBCM statement on the Housing Supply Act, November 2022
- New legislation would allow Province to set municipal housing targets, November 2022
- UBCM statement on housing supply and affordability, March 2022
- UBCM letter to Minister Eby requesting clarification on statements regarding housing supply and Minister Eby’s response November 2021.
- Housing: not just a big city problem, September 2021