Community Safety

Overview

Regarding community safety, UBCM activities are comprised of three core areas:

  1. Pursuing federal and provincial policy changes that will improve support for local government protection of the public;
  2. Representing local government in the development of new federal and provincial policy intended to protect the public; and
  3. Information sharing and promotion of successful solutions implemented by local governments to protect the public.

Community Safety Issues

UBCM is focusing on a number of significant community safety issues facing local government, including but not limited to:

UBCM also engages on a broader range of community safety issues including bylaw enforcement, court services, and road safety (including eTicketing and traffic fine revenue sharing).

External Committee and UBCM Working Group Appointments

Further, UBCM appoints local government representatives to a number of external committees and UBCM working groups related to community safety. This ensures local governments a voice at the table on issues and decisions that have the potential to affect their communities.

Related Programs

Two funding programs are administered by UBCM in support of community safety initiatives.

Community Emergency Preparedness Fund
Strategic Wildfire Prevention Initiative

UBCM partners with the BC Wildfire Service and the Office of the Fire Commissioner to provide Structural Protection Units.

Policy Scope

The Community Safety Committee guides UBCM policy development on community safety issues.

Tags: Community Safety
Liquor Policy Review On January 31, 2014, the provincial government released the "Liquor Policy Review Final Report." Upon its release, the Province began a gradual implementation of the recommendations contained in the document. As of November 2018, the Province has implented…
Tags: Community Safety
Emergency Program Act Review The Emergency Program Act (EPA) forms the legislative framework for the management of disasters and emergencies in British Columbia. It outlines the responsibilities of local governments, provincial authorities and crown corporations and the Province…
Tags: Community Safety
This page lists UBCM's active engagement with external committees and UBCM working groups related to community safety. UBCM appoints local government elected officials and senior staff to provide local government perspectives on issues that significantly impact local governments…
Tags: Community Safety
Overview UBCM and the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General have partnered to provide a portal of background information regarding policing in British Columbia. The information is intended to be a resource for local governments, and to help provide a broad overview of…
Tags: Community Safety
Cannabis Taxation Revenue Sharing The two-year Federal-Provincial-Territorial Agreement on Cannabis Taxation sees the federal government retain 25% of excise tax revenue (up to $100 million per year), with the remaining 75% or more going to provinces and territories. This…
Tags: Community Safety
The RCMP Local Government Contract Management Committee (LGCMC) is a forum for consultation, analysis and communication between local government and the Province regarding the management of the Agreement under which the RCMP provide local police services in BC. The Committee is…
Tags: Community Safety
  On behalf of local governments, UBCM is currently engaged on a variety of issues that impact police services in BC.