Regarding community safety, UBCM activities are comprised of three core areas:
- Pursuing federal and provincial policy changes that will improve support for local government protection of the public;
- Representing local government in the development of new federal and provincial policy intended to protect the public; and
- Information sharing and promotion of successful solutions implemented by local governments to protect the public.
Community Safety Issues
UBCM is focusing on a number of significant community safety issues facing local government, including but not limited to:
- Local Government RCMP Contract Management Committee;
- Local Government Policing Communications Portal;
UBCM also engages on a broader range of community safety issues including bylaw enforcement, court services, and road safety.
External Committees and UBCM Working Groups
Further, UBCM appoints local government representatives to a number of external committees and UBCM working groups related to community safety. This ensures local governments have a voice at the table on issues and decisions that have the potential to affect their communities.
Two funding programs are administered by UBCM in support of community safety initiatives.
Community Emergency Preparedness Fund
Community Resiliency Investment
The Community Safety Committee guides UBCM policy development on community safety issues