On January 25, 2022, a Memorandum of Understanding on Local Government Financial Resiliency (MOU) was signed between UBCM and the Ministries of Finance and Municipal Affairs, focused on addressing the 20 recommendations within the 2021 UBCM Ensuring Local Government Financial Resiliency Report.
Implementation of the MOU includes;
- the establishment of a Local Government Financial Review Working Group (Working Group) comprised of staff members,
- Development of a Working Group Terms of Reference,
- Development of a 3-year work plan to address the 20 recommendations within the 2021 UBCM Finance Report.
On Wednesday, June 29, 2022, Minister Selina Robinson (Finance) and Minister Nathan Cullen (Municipal Affairs) met with UBCM Presidents Committee to discuss the Short-Term Work Plan. The following was endorsed:
- The Working Group’s Short-Term Work Plan,
- Short-Term Work Plan Key Messages, and
- That the Ministers and UBCM Presidents Committee will meet in early 2023 to discuss/endorse the Working Group’s Medium-Term Work Plan.
On Thursday, September 14, 2022, during a workshop at the UBCM convention, the Working Group released the August 2022 Interim Report.