MMBC Releases Updated PPP Stewardship Plan to Province
Mar. 5, 2013Multi-Material BC (MMBC) submitted an updated Packaging and Printed Paper (PPP) plan to the Ministry of Environment on February 25. This plan was originally submitted on November 19, 2012, and has been updated to clarify components from the written submissions that were received from stakeholders between November 12 and December 14, 2012; and to clarify how the plan addresses requirements of the Recycling Regulation in response to questions posed by representatives of the Ministry of Environment.
According to MMBC, the plan clarifies:
- The definition of multi-family buildings;
- That MMBC will conduct research to establish a resident awareness benchmark and target;
- The research and development activities that will be carried out to expand the list of PPP to be collected to include all PPP;
- That the PPP Stewardship Plan addresses all PPP supplied to BC households through a combination of research and development activities and collection services; and
- The collection services to be provided under the PPP Stewardship Plan in relation to the PPP collection services currently available.
- A transition strategy for MMBC contracts with local governments that accept the market-clearing price where the local governments contract for the PPP collection services and their collection contracts expire after the May 2014 launch of the PPP Stewardship Plan;
- A description of a process to develop a data tracking and modelling system for greenhouse gas emissions;
- A description of a report to be submitted to the Ministry in January 2015 providing a summary of PPP collection services as of December 2014; and
- A summary of performance measures.