West Nile Virus Risk ReductionApplications are not currently being accepted for this program.
The West Nile Virus (WNV) Risk Reduction Initiative was developed in 2005 with funding from the Ministry of Health to ensure a proactive approach to mosquito control. The program has been offered to all local governments and First Nations in BC, with some opportunities for activities on Crown land, since 2005.
In early 2010, the Ministry of Health and provincial public health officials engaged in a re-evaluation of the actual risk of WNV in BC and agreed that, largely due to climate factors, large areas of BC are unlikely to be affected by WNV. Based on this, funding under the 2010 WNV program was available only to regional districts (including member municipalities and area First Nations) in the highest risk areas of the province.
2011 West Nile ProgramThe 2011 application period is now closed. Approved applicants should refer to the Program & Application Guide for reporting requirements.
- 2011 Program & Application Guide [PDF - 141 KB]
- 2011 Reconciliation Form [DOC - 97 KB] - due no later than October 28, 2011
The following resources are available for the West Nile Virus Risk Reduction Initiative:
- 2011 WNV Program Member Release [PDF - 90 KB]
- Larvaciding on Crown Lands [PDF - 4.2 MB]
- UBCM Member Bulletin on West Nile Virus Liability [PDF - 55 KB]
- BCCDC Municipal Mosquito Control Guidelines [PDF - 606 KB]
Contact InformationFor more information contact Local Government Program Services at (250) 356-5134 or email@example.com.
Go to Top